• Administrators

So this happened...

I've turned it down as I'm already invested in this project now. Napoli would take some serious work in this save too with ageing players in their squad including the one and only James Milner MBE at 39 years old 😀

Screenshot-2022-06-04-at-12-52-48.png

Screenshot-2022-06-04-at-12-54-17.png

Screenshot-2022-06-04-at-12-54-23.png

Screenshot-2022-06-04-at-12-54-42.png

• Like 1

• Administrators

An interesting start to the season to say the least.

I've made quite a few changes to the squad in terms of exits, introduced the Genenpress and been battered by the heavyweights.

Transfers

As mentioned I shipped out some of the deadwood and ageing players to reduce costs and bring in some fresh faces of quality. I could have held on to Lirola but Esteves and Pozo seem capable of surpassing his ability.

I only made two signings myself which were Jefferson Keven from Santos for €21.5m and Takuhrio Nakai from Real Madrid B for €18m. I'm quite excited about both as Keven will slot right into the starting XI but also has huge potential. Nakai has started off well with some assists which have proven key in the last two games but theres more ahead for him I'm sure.

Screenshot-2022-06-04-at-16-06-23.png

Finances

Our finances are quite strong after the summer window with funds available in the winter window if required. 

Screenshot-2022-06-04-at-16-06-31.png

First & Second XI

This is definitely a more youthful side with bags of potential thanks to my signings and the ones of@Markitos. I think Nakai will dislodge Almada this season, especially if he continues with assists and hopefully adds some goals.

Screenshot-2022-06-04-at-16-07-57.png

Screenshot-2022-06-04-at-16-09-35.png

Competitions

It's been a rocky start as the new recruits adjust and the team get used to the new formation/tactics. We we're battered by both PSG and Liverpool but dominated the other games. Magno has been injured for most of the games so far which hasn't helped but he's back now. Antiste got a red card against Rennais which meant a 2-2 draw ended up a good result.

The Champions League draw looks an interesting one which sees us go up against Ajax, Porto and Wolfsburg.

Screenshot-2022-06-04-at-16-10-51.png

Screenshot-2022-06-04-at-16-11-39.png

• Like 1

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Tempelman said:

GoGoGo @Derek!

Napoli definitely did not age well in this game! They made much better signings in mine! I think you rejecting them was totally justified

Struggling early on by collecting too many draws despite dominating games. Might take a bit of pain in the first half of the season.

• Administrators

Well I've been at this most of the day and to say it's been up and down is an understatement 🤣

We've drawn a lot of games as I've mentioned previously but I feel we are now starting to make a bit of progress.

We are currently in 4th position with 18 games played and have closed the gap on 3rd place to 5 points from 11. I'm optimistic on catching Lens in third but anything above that would be difficult. November was a great month as we won all games but then went on to not register a win in December. We have genuinely dominated in all league games apart from PSG & Monaco but our front three haven't been impressive so far this season. 

Knocked out of the cup in the first game away at Monaco and the 3-1 scoreline could have been a lot worse in fairness. However, despite losing our first two Champions League group games, we won the next three before drawing away at Porto to qualify ahead of them in second. Lazio are up next and it should be a tough game as they sit second in Serie A currently.

Fingers crossed for the rest of the season. 🤞🤣

Screenshot-2022-06-04-at-22-42-19.png

Screenshot-2022-06-04-at-22-42-39.png

Screenshot-2022-06-04-at-22-42-57.png

• Like 1

• Administrators

So a little update. I entered the transfer market and went big on one deal and got a bargain with another.

The big signing was 18 year old Dutch CB Essey Saeid who set us back €40m. I had a bid accepted in the summer window for €29m but he had only signed a new deal. He's developed a lot since and this guy is going to be starting a lot of games before the end of the season, he's going to be one of the best around for sure.

The other was €250k winger from Benfica CB, Antonio Oliveira. He will take a bit longer to gain a starting spot but again has huge potential.

Transfers

Screenshot-2022-06-05-at-11-23-04.png

We've been in good form and have caught up on Lyon while Lens still stay out in front for 2nd place. Our only defeat since the last update was at home to Lazio in the CL, in what was an even game but we dominated the second leg to set up an all French quarter final against PSG. 

If we get passed PSG we will face the winners of Chelsea or Man City. I think the end is near guys 🤣

Screenshot-2022-06-05-at-11-23-15.png

Screenshot-2022-06-05-at-11-22-34.png

Screenshot-2022-06-05-at-11-22-23.png

• Like 1

• Administrators

The Run-in...

Well we fell short of CL football in the end unfortunately guys with a third placed finish. Our early season form was the main reason as well as a bad April which also saw us exit the CL to PSG with a comprehensive beating in the second leg.

There were several positives which I would take note of for next season.

I moved Cifuentes up front and Giorgi to left wing in a swap and both guys starting scoring with 40 goals between them. Keven my new signing had a great season at the back with the second best average rating of 7.20 behind his partner Gabbia. Despite this I would advice to start Saeid as much as possible next season to develop him into the player I'm sure he will become which is one of the best on the planet.

No trophies but I had fun all the same.

Who's up next?

@tatuzzo76 would you be interested in taking up season 6?

Screenshot-2022-06-05-at-14-25-34.png

Screenshot-2022-06-05-at-14-32-03.png

End of Season Review

Screenshot-2022-06-05-at-14-23-36.png

Screenshot-2022-06-05-at-14-23-55.png

Screenshot-2022-06-05-at-14-24-07.png

Screenshot-2022-06-05-at-14-24-17.png

Screenshot-2022-06-05-at-14-24-26.png

Screenshot-2022-06-05-at-14-24-36.png

Screenshot-2022-06-05-at-14-24-48.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Glancing at the squad for the first time, it certainly is a very talented squad! A lot of young talents! I obviously knew some of them (Jacopi and Cifuentes)... Though the midfield is kind of weak (I think), I will look to improve this first, and with a 26M transfer budget I think I could do that.

I was offered a new contract from Nice, I see it is expiring. I COULD leave them or continue. Shall I take a gamble and see if I can succeed elsewhere?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Okay, let's get it started!

Decent pre-season, I don't play these games, but seemed okay. Decided to stick with @Derek's tactic and see what happens. Well, it certainly is a dominating tactic... Though we drew once against Brest at home, and narrowly won against Lens away.

In the CL we drew against Benfica, Leipzig and Club Brugge, which I think should be a forgiving group, teams equal or maybe slightly less than ours.

Schedule and results:

image.thumb.png.a149d62d00f077224dc110171668711d.png

Competition overview:

image.thumb.png.8724da6940db45258cb9072a895ab595.png

- There was a LOAD of interest in Talles Magno, but no club ever made a bid, which, considering the interest, was weird. No biggies, I know his obvious talent.
- Was looking to sell Arnau Comas because of his high value, age, and status in the squad, accepted 14,25M, but ultimately he decided to stay as a fringe. Will not feature much in my squad.
- On deadline day Real Madrid made two bids (around 38M) on Rayan Ait-Nouri, rejected both.

- Sold Helinho for 7,75M to Lazio, don't think he will be good enough.
- Xavi Simons has been sold to Bayer 04 for 15,25M, very good fee.
- Janis Antiste wanted to leave, considered him a backup option. 12M to Hertha BSC.
- Jonas Krumrey has been sold for 2,2M to Werder, was in the second squad so happy to sell.
- Antoine Mendy, also second squad, was sold for 3,4M to Mallorca, enjoy the sun there!
- Antonio Oliveira has been sent on loan, I think this would be best for his development.
- Bamba Dieng sold for 5,25M to Levante.
- Claudy Noc sold for 9,75M to Newcastle.

- Looking for midfielders, bought Yari Verschaeren off of Anderlecht for 28M.
- Also bought Dorgeles Nene as a rotational player for the AMC and striker position, I'm sure he will feature in quite some games.
- I thought we could also use a new goalie, bought Dominik Livakovic for 25M of Newcastle.

Still have some budget left for the winter...

Starting XI:

image.thumb.png.68dec08485e9915dc299ca6fd8e7c98f.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Some great deals there mate which have raised decent funds. Great shout about Oliveira, who will be a great bargain if he progresses.

I started Cifuentes, Giorgi and Magno in those positions last season which led to a struggle in front of goal. I basically switch the wingers and put Cifuentes up front and they start scoring. I'd imagine they will perform better this season in the natural positions you've put them in.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I noticed you saying that, but I was trying to be ignorant 😉 and stubborn... I still think with his attributes Cifuentes will eventually play his best games on either wing.

Cifuentes: 7 games, 4 goals (incl. hattrick in CL), 4 assists, 7,47 avg
Giorgi: 7 games, 9 goals, 1 assist, 7,87 avg
Magno: 7 games, 7 assists, 7,69 avg

Both seem to be doing well, maybe they needed to adjust... I knew from my Bordeaux game Cifuentes needed quite some time to adjust to the wing position. He already wants to leave Nice for a bigger club though...

• Like 1

• Moderators

Continueing this game a little... Strasbourg, who were surpisingly second at the time, proved to be difficult, but we deservedly took the win here, 1-0.

Our first opponent in the CL Club proved no difficulty, as Cifuentes bagged a hattrick, 4-0.

Montpellier was the next prey, 4-1. Against OM we completely dominated the game, with 24 (!) shots in the first half alone, 6-1 was the score. Lille also was no match for us as we won 5-0. 

Benfica was up next in the CL. Very tight match, though we totally dominated in the first quarter of the match. In the second half we managed to score, and hold on to the lead: 1-0 win.

AJ Auxerre was next. We dominated, forgot to score in the first half, Almada opened the score early in the second half with a penalty and Saeid scored his first ever Nice goal, and in 5 minutes time we were 3-0 ahead. 4-0 was the final score. After the international break we were up against Lorient, we finished the game in the first half: 3-1.

Leipzig... What a game that was. I was settling for a draw before Giorgi scored the winner in injury time, and Leipzig missed the draw with a shot on the bar! 2-1 win! We're first in Ligue 1 and the CL group!!!

Schedule and results:

image.thumb.png.48f7314bb7d2aaf8c6c574d80a2a6c48.png

Competition overview:

image.thumb.png.2f7759411c86805f70d00a0f660de44f.png

Extended contracts of Giorgi (Huge interest) and Jefferson Keven. Sold Etienne Greene to Al-Shabab for 10,75M, bringing the transfer budget up to 23,5M.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Little update, we dominated most matches, and haven't lost yet. Against PSG it was the first time this season we were behind. Troyes marked the second time we were behind at first, and the first time more than one goal conceded. PSG is still trailing 1 point behind us in the league, and in the CL we won all matches so far.

Giorgi is top goalscorer with 24 goals in 20 matches, 19 league goals.

Schedule and results:

image.thumb.png.608aeb6b28cbb62c1a54c2889c14ea49.png

Competition overview:

image.thumb.png.f4df4de3e2cc102e11b24d6fd94a877b.png

• Like 2