Holiday destinations

Tempelman

• Moderators

Four years ago, my mom booked a holiday for me and my father to North-Macedonia, it was only 99 euro, flight and accomodation included, very bloody cheap. I did not know anything about this country, so we went with clear minds. The flight was to the city of Ohrid near a beautiful lake, the hotel was picked random so we had no idea where we would end up. We ended up in a village named Pestani, not very touristy (Which I like). 

In the beginning we found the locals pretty withdrawn, English wasn't their language either so in the beginning we found it difficult. That changed a day later when we went to explore the village and found a local restaurant. The restaurant is run by 'mom and dad' (As we called these wonderful people) and their two sons. Mom and dad didn't speak English, but somehow the menu was written in 'Dutch' (Not really, but just too cute). We ended up there every day and formed a connection with one of their sons, Dragan, who cooked for us every evening, and knew a little English, and often drove us back to the hotel up the hills, when we had a little too much to drink. The first time I wanted to tip him for that, he became angry with me for doing that, he absolutely did not want my money at all. These people are proud of their country, they just do not blindly accept tips. He just felt it was a sensible thing to do.

Anyway, I wanted to go back since, if only to meet with Dragan once again, I really loved that dude, he could be a friend of everyone, that is just the kind of guy he is. Corona happened, I did book a flight over a year ago, but decided against it because of the uncertainty. 

Fast-forward to today... I see facebook posts of Dragan, and see he has a Dutch girlfriend, who - believe it or not - lives not far from me, AND he was in Holland for the first time. So I ask him to come to my work (It was Christmas and I was very busy at that point). I was busy working and I hear someone behind me, asking something in English, and it was this dude! I was so happy to see him and gave him a long hug, and later in the week we had a drink, with my dad tagging along, who also wants to go back to this beautiful country again.

Next month, 19 February, I am finally going back again. It will probably be a little cold, but I don't care. Dragan and his girlfriend are also getting married in September, and he invited me as well. It's a small world after all, right?

What's a place you would like to visit (again)?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Tempelman said:

Four years ago, my mom booked a holiday for me and my father to North-Macedonia, it was only 99 euro, flight and accomodation included, very bloody cheap. I did not know anything about this country, so we went with clear minds. The flight was to the city of Ohrid near a beautiful lake, the hotel was picked random so we had no idea where we would end up. We ended up in a village named Pestani, not very touristy (Which I like). 

In the beginning we found the locals pretty withdrawn, English wasn't their language either so in the beginning we found it difficult. That changed a day later when we went to explore the village and found a local restaurant. The restaurant is run by 'mom and dad' (As we called these wonderful people) and their two sons. Mom and dad didn't speak English, but somehow the menu was written in 'Dutch' (Not really, but just too cute). We ended up there every day and formed a connection with one of their sons, Dragan, who cooked for us every evening, and knew a little English, and often drove us back to the hotel up the hills, when we had a little too much to drink. The first time I wanted to tip him for that, he became angry with me for doing that, he absolutely did not want my money at all. These people are proud of their country, they just do not blindly accept tips. He just felt it was a sensible thing to do.

Anyway, I wanted to go back since, if only to meet with Dragan once again, I really loved that dude, he could be a friend of everyone, that is just the kind of guy he is. Corona happened, I did book a flight over a year ago, but decided against it because of the uncertainty. 

Fast-forward to today... I see facebook posts of Dragan, and see he has a Dutch girlfriend, who - believe it or not - lives not far from me, AND he was in Holland for the first time. So I ask him to come to my work (It was Christmas and I was very busy at that point). I was busy working and I hear someone behind me, asking something in English, and it was this dude! I was so happy to see him and gave him a long hug, and later in the week we had a drink, with my dad tagging along, who also wants to go back to this beautiful country again.

Next month, 19 February, I am finally going back again. It will probably be a little cold, but I don't care. Dragan and his girlfriend are also getting married in September, and he invited me as well. It's a small world after all, right?

What's a place you would like to visit (again)?

This is a Beautiful story.

I've only ever left England to go to Galway in Ireland. Unfortunately I don't get to goto Galway for holidays but to spend time with my daughter who was moved over there by her mother. 

I'm wanting to get across again this year to see her again but also be able to just explore the county and maybe go up to see an old friend of the scene JayC4Life. We've met before when me and my daughters mum was together and we visited Galway before my daughter was born. If anyone remembers JayC you'll all remember what an amazing member of the FM community he was. We catch up on discord from time to time.

Another place I want to visit just to get the sexual promises made to me by our very dear @Tempelman..... But no I'd love to get across to Vitesse at somepoint and visit you bro, got so much time for you. 

My ultimate destination is Germany and Dortmund, I'd love to experience the christmas markets and a matchday. 

@DerekDon't worry pal I'm bringing Yorkshire tea to you!

• Like 1

• Administrators

Lovely Story @TempelmanIt really is a small world mate and but great to read that things like this still happen.

I really hope you enjoy the trip mate.

@VyKingI love Galway mate. Being Irish I've obviously gone a few times as it's not to far at all. Went for my mates stag last year and really enjoyed it!

It has Europes largest outdoor karting track and I'm happy to say I came first our around 16-18 people despite a sluggish start 🤣🤣

I'm pretty sure JayC is back from abroad now mate too. I'm sure you know more about that than me.

Anyway my next trip is possibly at the end of the summer sometime but not too sure yet. I went for the first time away with the kids last year to Lanzarote and they loved it. Kids clubs and all that shite 🤣 Nah they loved it so I'll see how things go

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Derek said:

Lovely Story @TempelmanIt really is a small world mate and but great to read that things like this still happen.

I really hope you enjoy the trip mate.

@VyKingI love Galway mate. Being Irish I've obviously gone a few times as it's not to far at all. Went for my mates stag last year and really enjoyed it!

It has Europes largest outdoor karting track and I'm happy to say I came first our around 16-18 people despite a sluggish start 🤣🤣

I'm pretty sure JayC is back from abroad now mate too. I'm sure you know more about that than me.

Anyway my next trip is possibly at the end of the summer sometime but not too sure yet. I went for the first time away with the kids last year to Lanzarote and they loved it. Kids clubs and all that shite 🤣 Nah they loved it so I'll see how things go

My dad lives in Lanzarote but never been.

Yeah JayC is back from America bless him, he was at Donnington last year he's taken motorsport on as his main sport he loves it. Streams on Twitch too.

Galway is also home to EA and Bioware, remember trying to get a job there on customer services.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Tempelman said:

I just realise I did not reply... But yes, off course, @VyKingand @Derek, you guys are always welcome here! Or the other way around off course, I like England, been to Newcastle twice and Hull once. 

And @VyKing, then you will finally see a real match lol 🤪

A real match? I'll take you to Hillsborough any day pal haha. I would love to experience a game in Holland though

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Moderators

In september I am travelling back to Ohrid, North Macedonia, because my friend is then getting married with his soon to be wife. I also wanted my dad to tag along, but my mother felt the tickets were way too expensive, and my dad did not want to get into a financial debate with her so he kept his mouth shut. Me and Dragan (my friend there) tried to convince him to come, but to no avail...

So, the person I had to convince was my mum... Just so happened to be that last friday we were talking about it, when I would leave for the wedding and such and so on. At one point I said, let's have a look at the ticket prices (it was well over €300 in the past), and now it was around €195. 'That seems okay, does it?' I said... Mum: 'Yeah, that is not too much!' Me: 'Shall I book two tickets then, for me and dad?' She answered: 'Yeah, book it! I didn't have a present yet for his retirement, so this seems perfect'...

After 3 months, I managed to convince her lol 😂 over 350 guests at that wedding, and the best part is, dad does not know it just yet, we wanted to reveal it when he officially retires. I am really looking forward to his reaction! 

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 13/06/2023 at 16:44, Tempelman said:

In september I am travelling back to Ohrid, North Macedonia, because my friend is then getting married with his soon to be wife. I also wanted my dad to tag along, but my mother felt the tickets were way too expensive, and my dad did not want to get into a financial debate with her so he kept his mouth shut. Me and Dragan (my friend there) tried to convince him to come, but to no avail...

So, the person I had to convince was my mum... Just so happened to be that last friday we were talking about it, when I would leave for the wedding and such and so on. At one point I said, let's have a look at the ticket prices (it was well over €300 in the past), and now it was around €195. 'That seems okay, does it?' I said... Mum: 'Yeah, that is not too much!' Me: 'Shall I book two tickets then, for me and dad?' She answered: 'Yeah, book it! I didn't have a present yet for his retirement, so this seems perfect'...

After 3 months, I managed to convince her lol 😂 over 350 guests at that wedding, and the best part is, dad does not know it just yet, we wanted to reveal it when he officially retires. I am really looking forward to his reaction! 

That's great news mate, I'm sure you guys will have a great time. I've never been to North Macedonia but I have heard some good things about the country including from you 😀

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 14/06/2023 at 20:48, Derek said:

That's great news mate, I'm sure you guys will have a great time. I've never been to North Macedonia but I have heard some good things about the country including from you 😀

If you want to go, tickets to Ohrid should generally be cheap. Do not know if flights depart from England though, to Skopje they almost certainly will, but then it is a really long drive (3 hours) through the mountains to Ohrid. Go in May or August/September, that is either before, or after the high season, not a lot of English tourists either (I think).

On 15/06/2023 at 20:44, cameosis said:

the region is well worth checking out!

just read your story now @Tempelman, wonderful!

I still have not seen everything, in February I did a lot of sightseeing because Dragan drove us around. I hope I can do some excursions (or at least one), there are two guide operators who have both lived in Holland for a period of time, so speak Dutch 😄

• Like 1

• Moderators

albania definitely, not overrun by tourists, astonishing landscapes.

croatia doesn't need an introduction, montenegro is a bit under the radar, slovenia, bulgaria, serbia (central region called šumadija), hungary etc. you could plan an itinerary for years to come. 🤣

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 19/06/2023 at 00:09, cameosis said:

albania definitely, not overrun by tourists, astonishing landscapes.

croatia doesn't need an introduction, montenegro is a bit under the radar, slovenia, bulgaria, serbia (central region called šumadija), hungary etc. you could plan an itinerary for years to come. 🤣

I actually travelled through Albania to the city of Pogradec, which is also near the lake of Ohrid. Did not care much for it, did not like the atmosphere. Maybe not touristy, but the prices were insane... Also, my flight from Ohrid to Dortmund got cancelled back in February, so I had to travel to Tirana (3 hour drive) to get a flight back. Was a long ride, but a beautiful one, though Albanians are crazy people on the road!

• Haha 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Tempelman said:

I actually travelled through Albania to the city of Pogradec, which is also near the lake of Ohrid. Did not care much for it, did not like the atmosphere. Maybe not touristy, but the prices were insane... Also, my flight from Ohrid to Dortmund got cancelled back in February, so I had to travel to Tirana (3 hour drive) to get a flight back. Was a long ride, but a beautiful one, though Albanians are crazy people on the road!

ohrid is not representative to be honest, this is one of the places that everyone tries to milk to make some coin.

regarding traffic, very correct … but you probably haven’t been to egypt or turkey yet, let alone india – then you’d find albanian driving habits therapeutic. 🤣

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, cameosis said:

ohrid is not representative to be honest, this is one of the places that everyone tries to milk to make some coin.

regarding traffic, very correct … but you probably haven’t been to egypt or turkey yet, let alone india – then you’d find albanian driving habits therapeutic. 🤣

Hahahaha, Turks are always using their horn everywhere, yeah, agree on that one. 🤣

Ohrid is beautiful, but a little more touristy, prices are a little higher yes. The village of Pestani, where I go, the prices are so cheap. 

But the most insane prices were at the church of St. Naum. These were Dutch prices, or maybe even higher than that. It is sacred for most of the population, so that definitely surprised me. The owner (in my opinion) fucked up a beautiful and sacred place for the sake of tourism.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Been there 4 times, once Bodrum, once Side, once in an obscure village near Antalya and once to Istanbul. I liked all the times I went, but for my liking it is all too touristy, and expensive for those parts as well. Kusadasi I have not been but I would like to believe it is similar. Enjoy the kebabs and other great food there! 😄