Golden Oldies

• Moderators

Whenever I play FM, I never EVER buy players older than 28. They have always declined very quickly in all my games, with the possible exception of goalkeepers. This time I could not resist bringing in Virgil van Dijk of (obviously) Liverpool. At age 35 still one of the best (if not the best) central defenders the game has to offer. Liverpool, stupid as they are, transferlisted him, despite Virgil being their best player. Playing as Vitesse I could not resist adding him to my squad, made a bid of 8M Euro, cutting his salary in half. This is him now, just one and a half years later...

vandijk.thumb.png.cecf7f3f57534a157ca70dee705596cc.png

He has declined only slightly in his attributes, but still is world class... Unfortunately for me he decided to retire :( When looking at his current attributes he still is quite difficult to replace, an extremely solid defender who rarely makes mistakes. I replaced him with Timber (And he cost me way too much...)

What are your 'Golden Oldies', and show screenshots!

• Like 1

• Administrators

As you can see by my squad mate I'm quite ruthless when it comes to moving players on. Llyod Kelly is my oldest player at 27 and I'm in the middle of selling him to Al-Ahli. ? ? 

I think the only club I actually ever keep players past 30 is Liverpool and typically it's Virgil, Alisson, Salah and Mane I keep hold of. A bit of that is me being loyal I suppose. ? 

Screenshot-2022-01-16-at-12-27-55.png

• Like 1

• Moderators
Posted by: @Derek

As you can see by my squad mate I'm quite ruthless when it comes to moving players on. Llyod Kelly is my oldest player at 27 and I'm in the middle of selling him to Al-Ahli. ? ? 

I think the only club I actually ever keep players past 30 is Liverpool and typically it's Virgil, Alisson, Salah and Mane I keep hold of. A bit of that is me being loyal I suppose. ? 

Normally I would do that too, although your squad is exceptionally young compared to mine ? 

Naamloos.thumb.png.b4b530f202b5e8f41160857cf914188d.png

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

No retirement in sight yet, he is even still available for the national team (His stats there are incredible as well as you see! I don't think I've ever seen a player get over 200 caps).

I'm playing him on the left wing. I was contemplating on getting him in the first place, since I already had a world class winger and 3 great talented strikers, I didn't actually really need him. But his stats were so awesome, as well as his transfer fee (37M Euros), it was very tempting. 

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Tempelman said:

Funny, he has 19 finishing in my game and 18 in yours... Which means he seems to have developed that stat at a later age. He has only declined physically, but not by that much.

Definitely!

• Moderators

No other club in between? Because in the game, like in real life, he doesn't want to sign a new contract...

Anyway, in my game he doesn't want to sign a new contract either, he thinks the players at my club are not good enough.. Funny, since I am the biggest club at the moment 🤣

• Haha 1